Bonnie Hunter started her mystery sew-along, and most of the blocks were finished as the mystery went along. When we got to the part about putting it all together, I laid out my blocks and wasn't crazy about the way they looked, so the blocks all got put into a box in the closet.
Every time I opened the closet this summer, those blocks begged to come out and get put together, so last week I finally listened to them and put them all together. I have to say, they must have spent their summer in the closet doing stretching exercises, because all the string-pieced blocks were really stretchy on one side. But I battled them into place, and once I got the borders on, I really like they way they looked. I love the borders on this - I think it adds a lot to the finished quilt.
So now I'm ready for Bonnie's new mystery this year. Orca Bay was the first one I've done, and it was really time-consuming and involved a whole lot of piecing, but it did really use up a lot of stash fabrics (not that you can really tell there's anything missing from my scrap box!). This quilt kept me busy and out of trouble last winter, so I think I'll try her new one in a couple months. This was my first try at string piecing. These blocks aren't perfect, but this is the busiest quilt I've ever made, so I doubt anyone will notice unless they are trying to find problems. If they're looking that hard, they deserve to be rewarded by finding something!
I also finished up a couple wool pieces -
We've been having beautiful fall weather the last couple weeks - a very welcome change after this summer!
Thanks for stopping by.