Monday, June 1, 2020

Hands 2 Help Reveal!

Hands 2 Help Reveal

How the world has changed since last year at this time!  We've just come out of our two months of social isolation, which came on the heels of a long, cold winter.  I've spent a lot of time in my sewing room the last seven months.  Quilting really helps me cope with all the things that are going on, and I'm very blessed to have a large stash of fabrics so I can continue to create even when I can't shop.  Thanks to all the staying at home we've been doing, and some nice donations from friends, I have 14 quilts to donate this year.

Before the pandemic hit, I was part of a group that made supplies for Days for Girls.  I've been gathering up the scraps from that, and making quilts to donate back to the project.  Each batch of liners we make leaves a 4" x 4 yard piece, plus a ton of triangles, so I've been trying to make creative triangle quilts out of the leftovers.  My goal is to make one a month, so here are April and May.

These will be donated back to the Days for Girls project in Fond du Lac.  Some of the quilts are sold to purchase more supplies for the project, and some are donated to other charities.  Either way, it's a great use of the scraps! I'm hopeful that the group can continue our work in the new environment we have.

The next five quilts were sent to Little Lambs Foundation.  I got on a kick of making elephants from Elizabeth Hartman's Spectacular Savannah pattern, and made three of them:



 
 These are all about 38" square, so a good size to put in a backpack.  I also finished two cute panel quilts for Little Lambs.

I don't know why everything is posting sideways - they look fine before I add them to the blog!

When my mother passed away, I inherited her considerable stash of precuts.  She was a big fan of Missouri Star's Daily Deal, so I have a lot of Layer Cakes and Charm Packs.  Two of the Layer Cakes became quilts with the free Moda Love  pattern.  I love this pattern because it gives me lots of space to put free-motion quilting. This first one is purple with Kaffe Fasset prints - very colorful.  It looks much better in person than this picture shows.

 The second one was a Layer Cake of daisy prints from Kanvas.  It's very bright and cheerful. These quilts both have a lot of feather quilting! Both are about 72" square, so just right for a lap size quilt.

 This strip quilt is also bright and cheerful.

 This quilt was made from a Moda scrap bag, which had 3" strips of camping and fishing fabrics. I think this was probably a Holly Taylor line of fabric.  It's a great quilt for a guy.

I really like making the canning jar quilts, and still have lots of the food fabrics left.

These five quilts all went to Em's Scrapbag, so they will go to cancer patients.  I hope it will cheer up their day when they get them.  All of them are a good lap size.

Last but not least, the last two (sideways!) quilts were a collaboration with Donna at Brynwood Needleworks . I made the tops, Donna supplied the backing, I quilted them, and they are going back to Donna for donation to a quilt guild she belongs to.  The guild supplies nap quilts for a Head Start program in Florida, so these are headed to that project.  They are 40" x 50" = perfect size for a preschooler to nap on!



So that wraps us my Hands 2 Help effort for 2020.  The quilts that were to be mailed went out to their recipients today.  Hope you are all staying well and having fun quilting!


4 comments:

  1. WOW...such a collection of wonderful quilts. Trying to decide on my favorite is like trying to pick my favorite child. Can't be done. I love looking at all the machine quilting too. Thank you for sharing and inspiring me for next's years H2H challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many wonderful quilts! I love the elephants :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, you rock! Thanks for being part of Hands2Help 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All really nice quilts, and so many! You sure do stay busy.

    ReplyDelete