Sunday, February 16, 2014

UFO #1 is Done!


The UFO for Country Threads' UFO Challenge for February was #1, which for me was My Favorite Things, the 2012 summer freebie quilt from Primitive Gatherings.  I'm happy to announce this quilt is now quilted, bound, labelled and hanging on the wall of my sewing room!
This was a fun quilt to make (but I guess I always say that.  You never see a finished product of the un-fun quilts).  We received the 12 blocks in the center each week with our Block of the Week order.  The finishing kit was a little different - it had the instructions and some of the motifs for the borders, but with the additional instruction to add our own "favorite things" to personalize it.  This is a challenge for me - I can follow directions just fine, but being creative is a stretch!  Nevertheless, I added the animals in the lower left, changed the top left and right motifs to spring and summer and added the tomato pincushion after the word "quilting". 
Here's a little shot of the corner with some of my personalization!  I see there is an extra thread that I didn't snip, so I'd better go back and do that.  I may still quilt something in the sashings - I left them plain, but they may need a wavy line or something.  I'll let it hang on the wall for awhile and see if it sags or anything.  So, I can check this one off my UFO list! 

The cold weather has allowed a fair amount of quilting time lately.  I also finished this pillow for my son's birthday.  It was actually supposed to be a Christmas present last year, but this works, too!
I found some fun comic book fabrics on one of my shopping trips, but they didn't have much - only about 1/4 yard, so I made this little reading pillow.  It has the comic book fabric on two sides, and a matching red fabric on the third side.

I thought these were just a cute shape when I saw the pattern in the store.  They have straps on each end; they were labelled as a travel/reading pillow, but I doubt it will ever travel anywhere.

My design wall has some of the blocks from the Tone It Down Quilt-Along from American Patchwork and Quilting.  I started this before Christmas but it keeps getting put aside for other projects.

I have ten blocks done, and parts of several other blocks.  These seem to take a lot of time to construct - all the small blocks are 1" finished and I'm making the blocks out of scraps, which always takes longer.  I've been working on all the sections, so once I get that done, the blocks will go together fairly quickly.  I've always wanted to make a Burgoyne Surrounded quilt, so this is it! This will be a pretty big quilt.

We are supposed to get 5" of snow tomorrow.  I'd love to take a snow day and work on this, but I doubt I can manage to pull that off.  Unfortunately for Wisconsin, 5" of snow isn't enough of an excuse to stay home!  Our road crews are just too efficient sometimes.



7 comments:

  1. Your favorite things quilt is absolutely gorgeous! I love all of the flowers you added to the border and the bright colors in the Spring basket! I think you're more creative than you give yourself credit for! Great job on the other projects too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your gorgeous finish! Love it especially the pink flowers at the top.
    fun pillow.
    I have the magazine for the blocks but have not started the quilt. Probably won't do it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your finish. Love the personal touches you incorporated into your quilt. I have to finish my blocks along with 87 or mor other things and then add my own favourite things. I love your basket for Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your favorite things quilt is out of this world...love your special touches. Oh your reading pillow is just wonderful..my grandson would love that...must look for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on a gorgeous finish! Your quilt is stunning! I also love the new blocks you are making...I have been drooling over the pattern...maybe some day! Yours is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your wool quilt, especially the personal touches. That's also a neat pillow pattern. It looks like it would be very comfortable for reading. My dad just came back from visiting family in Wisconsin. You guys are really getting hammered up there this year. I hope spring comes early for you and you can dig yourself out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Favorite Things quilt is such an interesting and well done piece. So much to look at and admire. Well done with your creativity that you added to the border.

    ReplyDelete