Friday, February 17, 2012
Wednesday, February 1, 2012
After seeing some of the beautiful quilts on the February UFO link, my project seems pretty wimpy. But this one was a challenge on so many levels - I'm really glad it's done!
This table mat was a kit. The snowflakes were die-cut, thank goodness, or this really would never have been completed. The only problem is that they're so small, I had to handle them really carefully or the edges would shred. I like to put Steam-A-Seam on all my wool before I cut it out, so that it has a nice edge and never ravels. I think that would have helped these snowflakes a lot. The snowflakes were Challenge #1.
Challenge #2 was that these were supposed to be sewn down (by hand) with metallic thread. Ugh. Does anyone have a good relationship with metallic thread? I sure don't - after many knots, shredding, cursing, etc., I gave up and used floss on the rest of the snowflakes. So only the blue ones have the metallic thread. I do like the look it gives, but what a pain to work with!
Challenge #3 was beads. My relationship with beads is only slightly better than my relationship with metallic thread! But they're on there, by golly!
So, now that it's done, I really love it, and I'm also glad I don't have to make any more! I've had this kit in a partially-finished state for probably four years. I would pick it up and after about a half hour with that metallic thread, put it away again for another six months.
I'm looking forward to tackling #1 for February. It's a fall theme, so we'll see if I can channel some energy to work on a fall project in the winter!
Posted by Kathy at 6:46 PM